After endless hours of gazing at Irish Chain quilts on Pinterest and anywhere else I could find them, I decided to just start already. I looked and looked for a pattern so I wouldn’t have to do any of my own planning, but like always seems to be the case, I didn’t like the patterns I saw or I wanted mine tweaked a little. Also, it bugs me when pattern or tutorials don’t tell you the easy piecing methods so you still got to come up with your own math.
Two weeks ago I cut up what felt like thousands of strips. I did no planning, I was winging it. I just wanted to use up the fabric I set aside for this quilt. The fabrics were mostly part of Amy Butler’s Belle collection, but I threw some extras in there since a lot of the prints were a bit busy.
The strips sat in a pile on the floor for two weeks, sewn together in threes, but un-ironed. Last night I ironed and cut them up.
After I was finished I only ended up with 2 of the sets of 3 strips leftover, the rest of by some miracle was perfectly winged math. When this is complete I should have a full size quilt measuring around 80×96 inches.